Saturday, October 16, 2004

A Month

Current Roll: $8422

Hand of the Day: This is something that it is difficult to do, getting good reads on players while playing 4 tables. I usually can only get good reads on those that play too many hands, because I am often contesting pots with them. It's tough to put this hand in context, but I've been railing this guy by making correct reads to really maximize every bet against him. I've been checkraising him on the river with hands marginally better (a better kicker for example). He's been so frustrated he had been taken to calling my river raises with as little as A high.

I'm Holding QTo in the cuttoff. This ridiculously terrible player is in the BB, he will bet almost anytime it is checked to him. I raise first in and it's heads up. Flop of 655, he bets and I raise. Turn is an A and he bets again. I'm positive this didn't help him, so I raise again. Turn is the flush card, this guy could literally have any two cards, and he bets again. I have Q high so there's no way in hell I could call, so I raise him. He thinks forever, and calls with Jack high! I'm laughing so hard right now, and just waiting for the money to flow from him to me. Sure enough, a few hands later he calls me down with Q high against my pocket tens. I had him playing so terribly against me it's very unfortunate that I had to leave.

It's been a month and $4K since I started this blog. About a month and a half since I had a poker epiphany, going from a slightly profitable player to a very profitible player.

Some say a way to a fulfilling career is to find a hobby you love, become good at it and make a career out of it. If this is ever the truth, online poker is the exception. Online poker is fun and profitable, but it is NOT fulfulling. There's nothing fulfilling about sitting along in front of a computer screen, clicking graphical buttons all the while taking suckers' money. It's fun and can be a huge rush, but at the end it often leaves me empty. The anti-social nature of online poker often leaves me yearning for social contact.

Online poker players are a leeches on society, almost as bad as corporations (or governments) that profit from other forms of gambling. Some pros justify this - they claim we're giving entertainment. Bullshit. Mabye in live play, if you're an entertaining, funny, likeable person this could be a justification. Otherwise, in online play, any recreational, poker playing fish could be just as entertaining, if not more so (I personally find poor play far more entertaining than solid play).

I don't plan on becoming a fulltime, online poker pro. If I were ever to become a true professional online poker player, I would only like to do so part time. And I would make sure to spend my other professional time contributing and participating in society, and having a social life.

There's a young adult's book by Minnesota auther Pete Hautman, Stone Cold. It's a quick, good read about a teenager that has a good life and then becomes a professional poker player. I certainly could empathise with the charecter, and it helped me examine priorities and the pros and cons of professional poker.

I've been very busy lately, and I haven't been playing as much as before. I have a lot of posts half written that I would like to finish, a bunch of hands to analyze, aggressive play to discuss. So stay tuned. In the meantime, I'm going to plug a new blog, pokerhack. This is run by a fellow 2/4 player who lives near me in the NC Triangle area.

1 Comments:

Blogger txs said...

Thanks for the plug and listening to my ranting yesterday :) I needed to vent.

October 18, 2004 at 6:36:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home