Friday, October 08, 2004

Building a Roll

Current Roll: $7283

It was my buddy's birthday last night and I got so drunk I passed out on my living room floor, 5 feet from the bathroom where I kept trying to throw up. Ahh the life of a grad student. Alcohol here in NC is relatively cheap, but I still worked up a tab of $70 not including the tip, so I hope my winning streak continues.

Hand of the day: I had kings in late position, and someone in early position had raised with one cold caller. I reraise, the EP caps and the MP calls. 3 handed flop of A83. Not my flop, but the EP and MP check. Had the EP bet and the MP called, I would have a difficult time overcalling here, but checked to me I have to find out where I am so I bet and they both call. Turn is a 4 and it's checked to me. I'm scared of an ace or worse, including the possibility of being check-raised so I check behind. Anways, the river is a blank, the EP thinks for a bit and bets with the MP calling. Now I think I have the EP beat, and I'm not sure about the MP so I just call; I'm not happy with this but the pot size and their actions justify a call. They have QQ and JJ.

The EP made the biggest mistake in this hand - when there are 4 or less people in a flop, always bet the flop if you put in the last raise preflop (unless of course you have a good read). I don't care what you have or what the flop looks like, there are too many people too often willing to fold for one bet on the flop, even in $2/4. The pot is about 7 BB and for one small one he has a good enough chance (give our hands) to pick this one up on the flop. I probably would not have called on this flop, assuming one of the two had an ace; and the reverse implied odds of calling down means I could be paying 2.5bb to see his hand, whereas I could call on the river because the reverse implied odds are now 0. Had I folded to this hypothetical flop bet, I would have been wrong, but in the long run I think it's more profitable to worry about an ace. Of course this may be a weak/tight hole in my game.

One of my readers asked my opinion on building a bankroll. Specifically among tournies/cash, online/live games. I recently read a relevant post about this on internetpokerpro. (this is the blog I modeled mine after) The post is here. I think tournies are a terrible way to build a bankroll; there's more of a luck factor and very low payoff for all but the top places. That being said, I think tournies are a good way to build up a lot of hands of experience for cheap. I rarely play tournies anymore - I like the flexibility of jumping in and out of cash games when I please.

I also think that - purely for building a bankroll - online games are far better. You're going to get to the long run faster since you play more hands per hour. The rake is lower. There are less distractions, and it is often more comfortable in your own home. I think it's still a toss up whether the players are better online or in live games, but either way there are plenty of fish.

Anyways, I'm working on a post on slowplaying, which is one of the biggest mistakes I see among these lower limit players who percieve their actions as skillful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home