Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Online chat

Current Roll: $6730

When holding the nuts on the river - may you always be check-reraised multihanded. I had an incredible two days, made about $1200 in about 9 hours of play (including a $100 rebuy bonus).

Online chat - My buddy suggests turning off chat. His reasoning is that no good can come of it, and other players could use it to put you on tilt. He has a point, but I respectfully disagree. Occasionally, in chat, people will tell you what your table image is, and give you clues on how to beat them.

At this table today, I was playing some strong draws aggressively and hitting. When I beat my immediate left out of a second large pot, he typed in chat 'I can never beat you'. I responded that I was just lucky, but I was thinking that he would try to outplay me. A few hands later I have 88 in MP, I raise and he cold calls. The pot is heads up for a flop of K33 rainbow. I bet he calls. The turn is an offsuit 4, I bet and he raises. Normally I lean towards folding in this spot, absent other information. But because I was expecting him to outplay me, I called his bluff (he had Q4s!). Also, it was a poor play of his to make a river bet (I probably won't fold a winner nor call with a loser), but I'll leave terrible river bets for a later day.

This is a recent example, but certianly not the only time that I've used chat to my advantage. I would suggest never NEVER type anything in chat that could give someone else an advantage. This especially includes any chat that conveys anger or the possiblity that you are on tilt or upset about being outdrawn. Others will pick up on this and target you; I personally love targetting players on tilt, they are the biggest payoffs.

I will also echo the suggestion that it is not cool to berate the fish for doing dumb things and getting lucky. They might learn better. I personally have been guilty of of berating poor players, but only when the terrible players start trash talking; I then feel compelled to put them in their place. I have personal issues with terrible players trash talking. Mabye I shouldn't, does anyone have opinions on this?

Outs that aren't-I have to remind myself that I don't always have as many outs as it sometimes seems. I had the 67s, and the flop came 58K with me having an open ended straight flush draw. I figure I have 15 outs which is > 50% to hit by the river. But wait - my two oppenents have K5s and two higher clubs, leaving me significatly less outs! So when I capped the flop, I was slightly -EV instead of the +EV that I expected. According to my poker calculator, I'll win 29% of the time, which is less than the 1/3 that I would need to be +EV (I'm even worse off if the rake is included). Even though I hit the straight and won the hand, I made a mistake by reraising the flop. I just thought of this now, it may have been worth it if I had been able to take a free card on the turn; though I'm not sure if I would have taken it or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home