Sunday, September 19, 2004

Atlantic City Trip Report

Current Roll: 5005

I wasn't going to play anymore, but I popped my roll up to $5K just for completeness.

This summer I went to AC for the first time. It was about a 3-4 hour drive from where I was living at the time. I had two friends from undergrad, one that flew in to go to AC and one that was in town for week or two. The three of us are poker addicts, I also had a few non-poker playing friends that went to AC for Saturday only.

The first thing I noticed about AC is that it's not Vegas. Not even close. The town is very sketchy and you don't even have to leave touristville to find places I wouldn't want to be at night. When we go to vegas, we can usually stay on the strip for under $200 a night on weekends. Here the cheapest weekend rate we could find was the Best Western, for over $250. Mabye we screwed that one up.

I forget the first hotel we went to play poker at. It had a small poker room on the 4th floor of the hotel. There were three games going in a room that had about 15 tables. We were talking to the brush about a tournament later in the day, and he wasn't clear on the difference between limit and no-limit, much less capable of telling us which category the tourney fell. Not impressed.

We then went to the tropicana which has a better poker room. My friend wanted to play in a $65 NLHE tourney, and I played also. The tourney for me went terribly. I played tight and wasn't getting any hands. I didn't realize it was a rebuy until too late, and I dind't rebuy because I didn't want to throw more money away. Clearly I didn't win, but my friend got one out of the money which is impressive. He's a tight weak player, and I saw the cards hit him over the head for a huge winning streak.

Then we hit the Borgata's room. This is clearly the cleanest, most professional and impressive poker room. They have the best system I've seen for queueing players; with flat screen TV's that show the line and touch screen interface for the brushes. I'm keeping my eye on the company that provides this technology, QueueOS. Anyway, this is the room I had the most fun at, probably because they were providing me with free corona's. I played a few hands in stud and got outdrawn in two big pots. When I got a hold'em table, I was half-drunk and getting all the action I could hope for. The deck didn't hit me over the head, but I finished up about $50.

But the most action was at the Taj. They had the biggest room and the coolest dealers. The problem was, it had an atmosphere of dirtyness that the Borgata did not, and they didn't have free corona's. Both times I was there, some maniacs threw me off. These games were wild and I had some fairly big swings. I lost a big hand with AK against a complete maniac when the board was AKT (K) (blank) and we capped it the whole way with a KQ in there also. The maniac of course had AA, but I realy couldn't give him credit for it. Even still I made about $100 at the Taj over two sessions.

The dealers were the best at the Taj, and I tipped them accordingly. They really tried to entertain, doing card tricks, fast dealing, entertainng talking and more. These were the low limit tables and I play live to have fun and be social.

Let me say that again - I play in live games to have fun and be social. I like the games where there are happy people and we can talk and joke. Cute girls are always a bonus also :) No females my age at ANY of my tables the whole time I was there, very dissapointing. Anyways, I don't play live games to make money, even though I usually do. Online is where the money is made but the fun isn't quite there.

I don't have any plans to go back to AC anytime soon. I just enjoy Vegas so much more. But if you're going to AC, Borgata and the Taj are the only places worth going to, in my opinion. As for the rest of the town, there's almost nothing. The boardwalk was very disappointing, with some mini-carnival type tourist trap and that's about it. We hit some rock and roll museum which is probably worth 20 minutes, and free, if you are looking for some things to see.

Of course I had fun, I was with friends and playing poker. But Atlantic City is not on my list of destinations for anytime soom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home