Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Welcome

Current Roll: 4620

Welcome, I'm a grad student and now consider myself a professional poker player. There is some debate about what it means to be professional, but I'll define it as follows: Anyone that earns more than half their income through poker is a professional. I'm loosly defining this term as I only have made more than other income for about a month and a half.

I've been a winning player for about 9 months now, and I was a losing player before that. I was probably a good enough player to win, but I would let the bad beats effect me emotionally and tilt. At one point, I was essesntially broke, down about 2K.

What really changed things for me was - I switched to 7-card stud from hold'em. I feel it's a tougher game, but there are fewer bad beats than in hold'em, but I could be wrong. I was cleaning up on 1-2 pp stud, 4 tables deep eventually, until about 6 months ago when I broke even.

I re-examined my hold'em game and picked it back up. I still had far too many holes in my game; I like connectors too much, especially suited, regardless of game conditions. I saw far too many flops, wasn't aggressive enough preflop, didn't bet strong draws enough, and couldn't lay down when I should. Even still, $2-4 is so easy I was winning small amounts. The most important change was my outlook on the game.

Instead of getting emotional when I took a bad beat, I would laugh it off or be happy that my opponent made such a poor play. I was a winning player, but the swings I took were incredible.

One day, things clicked. I started seeing less flops (made easier by playing more tables), I started making laydowns. The swings were more up than down.

About two months ago I placed 7th in the pokerstars 20K guarenteed tounrey, for a profit of $960 or so. This was the only time I played in the tourney and don't plan on playing again soon due to the fact that I was up until 3am eastern.

Then I bought Small Stakes Hold'em and I closed a bunch of holes in my preflop game. I startd reraising a lot more, and this is a good thing. I'm also able to laydown hands like AK and even JJ preflop. (I've havn't yet been able to lay down QQ preflop even though there were a few times I knew I should have.)

Anyways, in the last month I made $2600. In the last week and a half I've made $1600. Mabye I'm too optimistic too soon, but I'm fully confident that I'm a strong, winning player. I've taken my share of bad beats and bad cards in the last month and have still come out ahead. My estimate for the last two weeks is 3BB / table / hour, or about $50 per hour in $2-4, playing 4 tables deep.

I've decided it's time to start documenting my play and results, so here's my blog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home