Saturday, September 18, 2004

Swings

Current Roll: 4816

The last few days (before today) were the worst poker days in the last two months. My hands weren't holding, my reads were wrong, and people outdrew me. People betting and raising in steal position actually had hands, or balls to cap on a bluff. Overpairs would be up against larger overpairs, or the smaller ones would trip up. Everyone seemed tight and aggressive, and I have difficulty playing against tight aggressive opponents when I'm playing 4 tables at once. I only have so much attention, I usually stick to ABC poker, with a few tricks I've learned on my own and from the new book Small Stakes Hold. We've all been there with bad days or weeks. I dropped about $300 in 3 days. Then today, I raked in $500 within 3 hours. Such is poker. Of course, I think Saturday afternoon/early evening is some of the best action ever.

Hand of the day, this hand I think I could have played better.

KQ hearts in MP. I raise first in, get one caller and the SB maniac reraises me. The BB calls, as do I and the LP. Flop is AK5, two hearts. SB and I cap the flop, with the BB cold calling the whole way. I figure I have as many as 15 outs, if I'm not winning already. Turn is a black 5 pairing the board. Checked to me and I take a free card. Turn is a blank. SB thinks awhile and bets, BB folds and I call for a split pot (he had K9o).

He got lucky that it was a split pot. Playing 4 tables, it's tough to notice the maniacs and I usually would have folded here, assuming he at least had some weak ace. I do notice the maniacs eventually, but usually only after I've been outplayed once or twice. I think it was a tough call here, reraising with 2nd pair and no draw is a rare play in 2/4.

I think I made two mistakes; I should have capped preflop and also I should have bet the turn. I figured one of these two had to have an ace and that's why I didn't bet. I don't know what the BB was doing in, smaller heart draw or guthot to to a wheel / bradway? Mabye fishing with a pkt pair? Such is $2/$4 party poker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home