Sunday, September 19, 2004

This Week

Current Roll: $4966

I didn't quite hit my goal of $1000 this week. It's been a busy week/weekend. It's close enough that I will call it a success, I just don't want to spend any more time on it. I've still made far more from poker this month that I will from my stipend.

I played more last night, and I was even until my aces got cracked twice. After that I quit, hung out with my roomates and went to bed. Then I raked in almost $200 in an hour and a half this afternoon. It was more, but my last hand AQ fell to AK, it happens.

Hand of the day: This was last night. Aces in mid late position, I 3 bet it after many people come in. 7 people see a capped pot. Flop is J53, two hearts and a spade. Me and an overaggressive player cap it. 4 or 5 people see a turn of Td. Checked to me, I bet and everyone calls. Turn is a heart, checked to the button who bets. The button is a decent player, straightforward player from what I can tell. So after two callers in front of me, I fold. Yes I folded aces in a $120 pot for one river bet. Very rare that I would do this, but I did so correctly. He turned over the KQ hearts.

We talked a bit afterward, and I told him my opinion that cold calling 3 bets with KQs was a loose play. At least in terms of all in equity, it was a losing play in the long run. The implied odds may have been there, and I believe he had the 2nd best hand next to me. The real problem lies in that if you flop top pair, you're going to be in trouble with at most 5 outs. If you flop overcards, you're going to think the pot is laying you enough odds to chase, even though it probably isn't (you'll need two running cards). If he was paying attention to me, the best he could hope for is that I have AJs, in which case he'd probably be correct to call. More likely I have QQ KK AA AK AQ in which it is clearly a TERRIBLE call and he should know that he'll need to get lucky to win this hand. He should know he'll need two pair or better to win this hand.

The guy capping it with me had KJ, and someone else called the whole way with J7. I love $2/4. I lost the hand, but I played it the best way possible, I put my money in with the hand most likely to win and folded when I clearly lost. Sometimes that's just the way it works out. It's this perspective that took me a long time to learn, and I think other potentially winning players just haven't yet grasped this concept.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home